Green and Environmentally Conscious Hotel in Washington, DC
We believe that environmental sustainability means good business! That’s why the Holiday Inn Washington- Central/White House is proud to participate in “green” practices in the hospitality industry.
While utilizing sustainable practices in certain aspects of our operations, our environmental focus is on the areas of Recycling and Conservation (through waste and consumption reduction). Below are a few examples of everyday practices that showcase our commitment to sustainability… across departments of our hotel.
- Our kitchen and pantry are equipped with a grease trap to collect and dispose of grease-waste on a regular basis
- Our coffee cups and and plastic cups are made from recycled materials
- We ensure that all light bulbs, batteries, and electronic equipment are recycled properly
- Our trash bags are bio-degradable
- We provide recycling bins in all “back-of-house” areas for all team members to recycle appropriate materials
- Our toilet paper and Kleenex are made from recycled paper and is dye free
Conservation – Consumption Reduction
- Housekeeping team ensures that all lights and televisions are turned off in all guestrooms
- Our kitchen team ensures that our dish washing machine is clean and that the wash, rinse, and sanitize arms are free from lime buildup
- We ask all meeting/banquet clients if we can use pitchers of filtered water instead of bottled water
- We participate in the Water Saver Program in which guest has the option to re-use the same towel during their stay and sheets are changed every two days during a guest stay unless otherwise requested.
Conservation – Waste Reduction
- We will be adding an electric car charging station to our premises by July 2012
- We have implemented a linen and towel re-use program
- Our team encourages guests and clients to use double-sided copying at a reduced two-page cost
- Our administrative team has stopped printing daily reports, equaling an annual savings of paper equivalent to 20 miles
- We encourage guests/clients to send proposals, marketing materials, and contracts electronically
- We use fair trade coffee which is rainforest alliance certified
Visit us online for more information on the Holiday Inn Central- Green Practices